This mixture can be used to either bake one large cake or cup cakes. Depends on what you are in the mood for… This sponge cake is very light and tastes wonderful with the orange.
1 cup of margarine or butter
1 ½ cups of sugar
1 cup of corn flour(maizina)
1 cup of milk
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of grated orange peel
1. Cream the butter and sugar together.
2. Mix the corn flour with ½ a cup of milk and add.
3. Beat the eggs very well and add to the mixture.
4. Sieve the dry ingredients together and add, taking turns with adding the milk as well.
5. Lastly add the vanilla and orange peel. Mix well and pour the mixture in a round cake pan.
6. Bake in a pre-heated Bak at 180°C for about 50 minutes until light brown.
If you are baking the cup cakes, you shouldn’t need to bake them for longer than about 20 minutes. Decorate them in any colour you feel like… Let the children help 🙂
If you live in Vereeniging in South Africa and want to order cup cakes instead, why not visit our Ouma’s Cookies site 🙂
I was born in Vanderbijlpark, South Africa and grew up in Vereeniging. The first time I left home was in 2002 to go to England on a working holiday. Met my husband halfway around the world, got married in South Africa and now have 2 beautiful children. One boy and one girl... Started writing down recipes I grew up with when I was living in England and love sharing them with others. Buy my downloadable book and keep all the recipes together! https://recipesfromsouthafrica.com/download-book-in-english/