Cooking something yourself from scratch is a great feeling!! You feel like you actually achieved something wonderful. Specially if your husband and son likes the end result 🙂
It is very easy to make… Thanks to my husband and mother’s help I had success. You need only a few ingredients and off you go:
1kg of tomatoes (I bought the jam tomatoes)
1 cup of sugar
4 peppadews (you can use fresh chilli if you wish, just don’t add too much of it 🙂
a pinch of salt
juice of half a lemon
1. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and pour boiling water over it (it must be covered).
2. Once the tomatoes have been soaking for about 15 minutes, peel the skins off and cut into little cubes.
3. Put the sugar in a pot on the stove and start melting it over a low heat.
4. Add the tomatoes, salt, lemon juice and peppadew. Mix everything together and bring to the boil.
5. Once it is boiling, turn the heat down and let simmer for about 1 – 1 1/2 hours. Stir in between and make sure it doesn’t burn. Don’t put the lid on the pot.
6. Once all the water is gone and the sugar has turned into a syrup, remove from heat and let it cool down.
7. Place in glass jars and store in fridge.
This tastes really nice and goes well with anything 🙂
I was born in Vanderbijlpark, South Africa and grew up in Vereeniging. The first time I left home was in 2002 to go to England on a working holiday. Met my husband halfway around the world, got married in South Africa and now have 2 beautiful children. One boy and one girl... Started writing down recipes I grew up with when I was living in England and love sharing them with others.