I don’t know of any other desert that is as quick, easy or lovely as a Roly Poly to make. All you need to do is prepare the pudding and then place it in the oven when you serve your main course. By the time the main course is finished, desert will be warm and ready to serve!
In South Africa we enjoy this great pudding with apricot jam. In England they tend to enjoy everything with strawberry jam. But if I can recommend one, it would be the apricot jam. You have to try it at least once.
Ingredients of desert:
1 cup of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
A pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of butter
Ingredients for syrup:
2 cups of water
1 cup of sugar
1. Rub the butter in with the flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Beat the egg and mix with a little bit of milk. Add to the above.
3. Roll out the dough and spread apricot jam on top.
4. Boil the ingredients for the syrup together and pour into the dish you are going to use to bake the pudding in.
5. Roll up the dough and place in the boiling syrup.
6. Bake the desert in ‘n pre-heated oven at 180 degree celcius for 25 minutes.
Serve the Roly Poly warm as it comes out of the oven with custard or ice-cream. It tastes great on warm and cold days, so don’t worry if it is not winter. Ice-cream is a great treat on a hot, warm, summer’s day. Enjoy!
I was born in Vanderbijlpark, South Africa and grew up in Vereeniging. The first time I left home was in 2002 to go to England on a working holiday. Met my husband halfway around the world, got married in South Africa and now have 2 beautiful children. One boy and one girl... Started writing down recipes I grew up with when I was living in England and love sharing them with others.