In the past the Generals used to name cookies they liked after themselves so everyone would know who’s favourites they were!
Here follows the recipe for these lovely cookies that I baked just the other day. They are really quick and very easy to make. Even if you have never baked them before, roll up your sleaves and sink your teeth into this one!
2 cups flour
A pinch of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup of margarine
3 eggs (white and yellow seperate)
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
If the pastry is too thick, add 2 tablespoons of milk.
1. Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder together. Rub the margarine in with your fingertips.
2. Add the egg yolk and the sugar. Mix and let is rest for about 15 minutes.
3. Roll the dough and place round pieces of dough in little muffin pans.
4. Place a small teaspoon of apricot jam in on top of the dough.
1. Beat the white of the eggs together well.
2. Add 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 cup of desiccated coconut to the egg whites and mix.
3. Place a spoon full of this on the top of the apricot jam.
4. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 10-20 minutes.
Once you start eating them it is really hard to stop, so make sure you bake enough!
I was born in Vanderbijlpark, South Africa and grew up in Vereeniging. The first time I left home was in 2002 to go to England on a working holiday. Met my husband halfway around the world, got married in South Africa and now have 2 beautiful children. One boy and one girl... Started writing down recipes I grew up with when I was living in England and love sharing them with others.